Friday, October 22, 2021

Storyteller's Journey

My Love of Libraries

On many occasions I've blogged about libraries; they're sacred chambers of creativity, and have been for me since I was a young child. However, it's only been in the last couple of months, that I find myself once again looking to my local library for support. 

Support, not of the emotional kind, but of the technical sort. I won't belabor the issue of me lacking internet service at our home. I've come to accept the situation. In large part due to the local library that I visit once a week. The librarians are ( as you'd expect) kind and efficient; they leave me alone unless I've needed assistance. What's sort of ironic, is the fact that for a short period of time I actually volunteered to work with children in this very branch of the Fort Vancouver Regional Library in Battle Ground, Washington. It was a heartwarming experience, as it always is when I work with children. I also recall attending an author presentation (in the very room where I am now sitting) featuring the hilarious Newbery Medalist, author Jack Gantos. 

It feels healthy, for some reason, that I'm now back at the place that has so many times offered me opportunities, information, and even inspiration. It's also a lesson in humility. I have a need, and the library is reaching out to me with a helping hand. In this age of internet, it behooves us all to remember that not all U.S. citizens have internet service - for a variety of reasons. 


Remember to thank your local librarians!