Friday, January 13, 2023

Storyteller's Journey

Simplicity in 2023
Each year my husband and I make goals for the new year. Last year, in 2022, my goal was to unwind. This year, my goal is to maintain a simplicity in all aspects of my life.

My husband and I moved to our rural property to get away from the hubbub of the city and to commune better with nature. (We both find inspiration for our creativity by being outside.) However, when we first took possession of our new home. we had loads of work to do on our farmhouse fixer-upper; consequently, we rarely spent time in the out of doors. We were too busy making our newly named Fern Hill our home.

Last year we improved by getting out in nature more, but at times the peace we value seemed to elude us. So, this year, I'm endeavoring to spend my time with activities I value: Writing, reading walking, and spending time with family and friends. Activities I want to limit: Watching television and perusing on my social media sites.

Living in a quieter environment has really calmed my soul. But failing to quiet my mind can still rob me of the peace I so value. Choosing to walk a simpler path requires sacrifice and valuing the right things.

Nearly ten years ago, I posted here on Writ of Whimsy a brief bio of Tasha Tudor, the award-winning author and illustrator of children's books. Her simple life inspired me immensely! Click here to read it.