Friday, May 20, 2022

Storyteller's Journey

Under the Umbrella
Though I'm a Pacific Northwesterner through and through, using an umbrella is something I rarely do. However, the phrase "under the umbrella" is something I think of quite often. Especially in relation to how my writing fits into my life as a whole.


Many years ago, when I was in a very dark period of my life, a wise person gave me some invaluable advice: "You need more parts in your daily routine that pertain not only to your family, but things that pertain to you - personally. Friends, interests... possibly, a new profession. You need more under your umbrella." I took that advice and found a way through the darkness to see that an entire new life was waiting for me.

Since that time, writing has become my new profession. And though it doesn't pay as well as my former occupation, I've never been happier. However, part of the reason I'm so content is that I have always remembered to have several interests under the umbrella of my life. Beyond my family and friends, I enjoy hobbies: time in the out of doors, traveling, music, reading, and a passion for a variety of the arts.

So, while this blog is about children's literature, from time to time you may notice topics that don't quite fit into that category. 

But they do fit under the umbrella of my life.