Friday, June 17, 2011

Storyteller's Journey

Libraries are like portals to a magical, whimsical world where the visitor can enter and take flight from their mundane existence. Growing up I not only visited our local library to study; but as a refuge from my family when there was stress at home. When I told my parents I was going to the library - I really went to the library!
     I mention this because the very same library that was my sanctuary, with the spirits of wise old authors guarding that bastion of literature, closed last week. Before you feel too sorry for me you should know that a new four-story library will open next month in the heart of our community.
     As a mother of three sons, I passed on my habit of visiting libraries (and bookstores) to them. Just when I thought video games may have replaced their love of literature my youngest son, Brian, discovered Brian Jacques' Redwall series. (Unfortunately, Mr. Jacques passed away last February. He single-handedly may have kept my youngest reading, which in turn kept him on track to now attend University.)
     With summer now upon us, make use of your local library; visit my old friends Charles Dickens, Louisa May Alcott, and Emily Dickinson. Only a completely ignorant society would fail to see the enormous value in its libraries.