Monday, March 14, 2022

Bibliophile's Corner

Stars and Poppy Seeds
by Romano Romanyshyn 

Goodreads Description:
"Why can't I count all the stars even though I know so many numbers, formulas, and equations?" As the daughter of well-known mathematicians, Dora loves to count more than anything else. She counts all the things around her, even all the animals in the world that she can only imagine. While Dora looks at the Milky Way, she begins to wonder how to count the mesmerizing stardust with every one of its particles. Is it possible at all? Is the night sky so full of stars that all the numbers she knows would not be enough to count them?  Dora soon learns that she needs to deal with such a complicated task through the smallest steps, and who knows, maybe one day, she will achieve her dream.

My Thoughts:
This beautiful picture book was first published over a decade ago, but when I saw it online with the hashtag #UkranianKidLit I knew I had to have a copy. However, I never expected that it would be such a lovely book! Curiosity, hope, and dreams grace the pages of this Ukranian children's book. I highly recommend Stars and Poppy Seeds for children aged four to eight! (Note: In the translation I read, the protagonist was named Flora, not Dora.)

Click here to learn about the Ukranian author, Romana Romanyshyn.