Friday, February 25, 2022

Storyteller’s Journey

An Epic Odyssey

Fourteen years ago this month, I left my profession as a dental hygienist and embarked on my storyteller’s journey. It’s been an epic odyssey!

Soon after my first book was published (The Scandinavian Santa) in 2014, my husband and I went on a three-week trip to Europe. (Venice)

While I look happy in this picture taken at the historic home of Claude Monet in Giverny, I was actually quite rattled. We’d had multiple challenges with our connections in Rome, Venice, Milan, Avignon, and Paris. However, I was able at least to do the research I needed for the middle grade series I’d already outlined. That was, after all, the purpose of our trip.

By the time we reached London we felt like seasoned travelers. (It helped that we were in an English-speaking country!) We enjoyed many sights in England, including Stonehenge.

The last country we visited was Scotland. It was by far my favorite of the trip - at least as far as natural beauty. Nature always plays a prevalent part in my stories.


Since that trip eight years ago, we’ve visited many states we’d never visited before, including Alaska. In 2018 we were lucky enough to travel to Guatemala with a wonderful group of artists.

My storyteller’s journey has even impacted where I live. Last year we realized a long-held dream: We moved to a rural home, closer to nature where we are inspired to continue to create.


While we’ve enjoyed all these adventures immensely, in every place, we were there to either further my writing, my husband’s artwork, or both. I had traveled  internationally before, but I had done so as a tourist. At that time I did not have the eyes to really “see” the people or the cultures like I do now. Writing has opened my eyes, like reading books did so many years ago when I was a child.

I truly hope my stories open the world to young readers.