Monday, February 28, 2022

Bibliophile's Corner

Leila in Saffron
by Rukhsanna Guidroz
Illustrated by Dinara Mirtalipova

Flap Copy Description:
Sometimes I'm not sure if I like being me.
When Leila looks in the mirror, she doesn't know if she likes what she sees. But when her grandmother tells her that the saffron color of her scarf suits her, she feels a tiny bit better. So Leila spends the rest of their family dinner night on the lookout for other parts of herself that she likes.
Follow Leila's journey as she uses her senses of sight, smell, taste, and touch to seek out the characteristics that make up her unique identity, and finds reasons to feel proud of herself, just as she is.

My Thoughts:
I must admit, I was drawn to this wonderful book by its colorful cover in my local library. (Those librarians always know what they're doing!) However, when I read the book, I realized that its message of accepting who you are - with all of your unique traits - was something that every young child should hear. So, Leila in Saffron is this week's featured children's book. (The glossary at the back of the book is awesome!) I highly recommend it for children aged four to seven.