Monday, November 29, 2021

Bibliophile's Corner

Snow in the Garden
A First Book of Christmas
by Shirley Hughes

Flap Copy Description:
This classic collection of festive stories, poems and things to make and do is a joyful introduction to the wonder of Christmas.
From heart-warming tales of kindness to seasonal illustrations and easy to follow recipes and craft activities, there are so many ways to marvel in the magic of this special time of year.

My Thoughts:
Snow in the Garden crossed my path quite by accident; the lovely cover artwork caught my eye on a social media site, and I just had to have a copy. (Even though at the time it was only available in the U.K. Thank you, Book Depository, for your prompt delivery!) Little did I know that Shirley Hughes is a legendary author/illustrator in Great Britain. In the words of Philip Pullman, "Shirley Hughes is a national treasure." After reading the book, I totally agree. Her delightful illustrations and poetic text remind the reader - young or old - of the wonders of childhood. I highly recommend Snow in the Garden for children of all ages. Be sure to pick up a copy soon, as the whimsical stories, poems, and recipes will add to the joy of your child's holiday season!

Click here to learn about the award-winning author Shirley Hughes.