Friday, April 17, 2020

Storyteller's Journey

Writing in a Time of Crisis

During this time of the Covid-19 Pandemic, I've been reminded of why I began writing so many years ago. First, I journaled, then I penned poetry, and then, twelve years ago, I began writing stories for children full time. In each of those endeavors, a challenging time was the impetus for my writing. It's the same now.

Whether or not this is common among all writers, I don't know. But in this time of isolation, allowing my spirit to be transported through writing - and reading - has been a source of comfort. It's also enabled me to maintain a bit of normalcy, since writing and reading have been an integral part of my life for over a decade. Being an introvert is a great strength right now. (My sister, who is very much an extrovert, has had a very different experience during this time of crisis. Being around people is a must for her.) I'm reminded that I was born to be a writer.

Writing during this time of crisis seems to pull courage from my soul. When I write (or read) my mind is unable to wander down paths of fear, worry, and impatience. There is a sense that I'm conquering this horrible situation by staying creative and maintaining a normal life.


Good luck with your writing during this Coronavirus Crisis!