Friday, January 25, 2019

Storyteller's Journey

Pacific Beach - Washington State
An Open Life

When I first embarked on my writing career over ten years ago, I set out to learn as much as I could, as quickly as possible. I knew I had come to the "penning party" quite late.

However, as time has gone on I've discovered that so much of a writer's life (if she's to be effective) comes from not only learning the principles of writing, but on just plain living. Paying attention to the big and little things in one's life is what provides a writer with the content she needs...to have something of value with which to write about!

Earlier this month, my husband and I spent a long weekend on the Washington Coast. I love having the chance to spend time at the beach; when I'm there, staring at the ocean is my favorite thing to do.

It occurred to me that a recurring theme has already popped up in this new year of 2019: Have an open mind; expect new opportunities. I believe the reason this idea has come to me is due to the fact that this year has presented new situations; some that I would not have chosen myself. That being said, they have broadened my thought-process. Having an open mind, leads to having an open life. The more open and vast our lives are, the more possibilities and opportunities there are that will come across our paths. In addition to that, having a broad range of experiences is one sure way to add fuel to the creative fire for a writer. It's easy to get lost in the doldrums; we must keep life vast and exciting. That's one way we can keep our writing exciting, too.

(Last week I learned that the Fountain Hills Times, a weekly newspaper in Arizona, will be reprinting this article that I wrote about my 2018 trip to Guatemala. I would not have imagined I'd be published in a newspaper. You never know what opportunity might come along.)

Maintain an open life by broadening your experiences!