Friday, October 14, 2016

Storyteller's Journey

Photo Credit: Public Domain
  Is It a Setback...or a Surprise?

As I've padded down the path of my storyteller's journey there have been numerous bumps along the way. Like all writers, the challenge has been to pick myself up and keep going. One way I've been able to do that is to try my best to view unexpected obstacles as surprises, not setbacks.

Like most of us, over the years I've heard my share of motivational messages. However, like so many things in life, those inspirational ideas must be diligently worked at...even when we don't feel like it.

For a writer it is imperative to view the bumps along the path to publication as surprises, not setbacks. If she doesn't, she runs the risk of being knocked off the path and never proceeding any further.

I've lived long enough to have a great perspective from my life's "rear-view mirror." What I now see, is that the most difficult times in my life have taught me the most, made me the strongest, and created in me a passion for life. I'll admit that it's now easier to view obstacles as surprises because I've seen how even the most painful life experiences have become part of my story; they've made me a more interesting and compassionate person. (Due to a career-ending  injury nearly ten years ago, I found the courage to finally become a writer!)

Life can set us back, or surprise us. It's our choice. 

Note: My current "surprise" is that I'll be going in for arthroscopic knee surgery next week. (Several months ago I injured the meniscus ligament of my left knee and have been hobbling around ever since!) My sweet  husband has offered to stay home with me for a few days until I am literally back on my feet. We'll also be collaborating on the illustrations for our current picture book: Journey to Snowdonia. 

"It will be messy, but embrace the mess. It will be complicated, but rejoice in the complications. It will not be anything like what you think it will be like, but surprises are good for you."  ~ Nora Ephron