Friday, December 30, 2011

Storyteller's Journey

   Goals - not resolutions - for 2012

Many years ago, on New Year's Eve, my husband and I decided to make goals for the coming year - rather than resolutions. Since that time  these annual goals have had a much higher rate of success than their previous resolutions! So, with that in mind, I decided to make goals specific to my writing career - here they are:

1- Write consistently. Attempt to write 1,000 words a day - five days a week.

2- Send in my MG manuscript, Livvie Biddle, to an agent - no later than April.

3- Do a major rewrite on my picture book, The Scandinavian Santa. Tighten the text as much as possible to reduce the word count.

4- Look in to self publishing the PB as a Storybook. (Even if I reduce the word count - it will still be too high for today's PB market.)

5- Rewrite my MG manuscript, The Tale of Willaby Creek. (This story is one I am very fond of - if I can tighten the text and make a few more changes, I may submit this ms in the Fall.)

6- Rewrite the second book of Livvie Biddle that was thrown on the page during NaNoWriMo!

7- Attend another writers' conference. I would like to attend the SCBWI annual conference in Los Angeles in August. However, the regional SCBWI retreat I attended last October, in Oregon, was a blast!

8- Begin researching for the later stories in my Livvie Biddle series.

9- Continue networking with other writers - both online, and at writer events.

10- Get represented by an agent! If this goal is attained I will be ecstatic. (Notice: I didn't mention getting published in 2012 - I'm too realistic for that! Maybe 2013.)

One reason I have put these goals on my blog for my followers to see, is that it places a bit of self-imposed pressure on me!

Do you have any writer goals, or resolutions, for yourself in 2012?