Friday, April 26, 2024

Storyteller's Journey

Yellow Roses 16 X 12 by Michael Lindstrom (Not for sale)
 Painting with Words

Recently I mentioned that my plan for my middle grade manuscript is to revise it this fall. I thought it might be interesting to discuss my method of revision. My preference is to go over my story multiple times, looking at my manuscript with a specific element in mind: Word choice; pace, rhythm, etc. One of my favorite ways to write is with the mindset of painting with words. Creating scenes that leave the reader with a clear visual picture in their mind.

This is especially important in the novels that I pen; while the illustrated short stories that I create with my husband include his beautiful paintings. The reason that I treasure painting with words goes way back to my childhood. I loved being able to imagine a different place and time in the books that I read. A well-written novel would even cause me to feel I'd left my own life and traveled to another. Maybe that's why, as an adult, I love writing fantasy and time travel. So, this autumn I'll be revising my manuscript one element at a time. Painting with words will be high on my check list!