Friday, May 17, 2019

Storyteller's Journey

Painting by Georges Pavis - May 1886 -1977
Engrossed in Research

One of my favorite parts of the writing process is the research required before one ever puts pen to paper. Right now, I'm writing and researching at nearly the same time. Since a story set in France burst upon my brain, I've been busy penning a first draft. However, I'm at the point where I need a more in depth knowledge of my story's setting and the time it's set in before I go any further.



These two non-fiction books by professor Matthew Cobb are exactly what I need to educate myself about the French Resistance during World War II. That being said, they aren't exactly "light reads." So, I write each afternoon, and read after dinner each night. I love this routine, but I know it's a bit much. Once I've finished these books, I'll get my life back to normal.

These books are just two of the resources I've tapped into so far for my current work in progress. I've also listened to an audio broadcast by the BBC from 1989. In it, adults who were little resisters in WWII, are interviewed. That was a real eye-opener, and extremely helpful. There have also been several online articles that have helped me as well.

Do you enjoy researching when you're working on a new project?