Friday, May 18, 2018

Storyteller's Journey

Hitting the Right Note

Since I have a bit of a musical background ( I played the clarinet in school & years later, the flute), I've often thought about the similarities between a music composition and a novel. I've realized that both the composer of a concerto and the author of a novel use specific rules to compose their creations.

Are there elements I can learn from the music world to create a story that sings?

I believe so.

Here's a short list of music terms & the corresponding literary term:

Movements (three in a concerto; four in a sonata or symphony.)
Acts (three in most literary novels.)
*   *   *
Soloist (an individual instrument that is featured to play the melody line.)
Protagonist (the leading character through which the reader understands the story.)
*   *   *
Time Signature (beats per measure; one beat per particular note.)
Pace (Simply stated, how fast a story unfolds and proceeds.)
*   *   *
Practice, practice, practice!
Write, write, write!

As you can see these two art forms have some interesting similarities.
But, how does that help me hit the right note when writing my story?

As I've pondered this question I realized that when I was an active member of an orchestra I'd never have thought to disregard the rules. I knew that my ability to properly play my clarinet according to the notes, etc. on the page directly affected the success of our performance. All musical notations had to be adhered to - no exceptions.

Do I pay the same attention to the rules with regard to crafting a story?

I believe I do when it comes to the big elements of writing. But, do I pay the same attention to elements that are a bit harder to evaluate? Like dialogue, character development, the use of humor, etc. If I'm honest, I believe I can do better. This quote is simple, yet so powerful:

"It's the attention to detail that makes the difference between average and stunning."  Francis Atterbury

If this is the Golden Age of publishing (as I've read), then only the very best manuscripts will get noticed. Those that are not only well-written & heartfelt, but those to which their authors have paid attention to detail.

I need to always attempt to hit the right note as a writer, like I did as a musician. The right word, the right scene, the right chapter ending, etc.

(Recently I picked up my flute again; that's what prompted this post!)


In an outline for a future middle grade novel, the famous composer and violinist Antonio Vivaldi is featured for my story. Above is a video of his Spring Concerto from "Four Seasons." Listen and enjoy!