Friday, November 21, 2014

Storyteller's Journey

Back to Basics

In this digital age that offers all of us so many ways to save time, sometimes I find the old fashioned ways of crafting a story more to my liking. (Art by Michael Lindstrom - copyright 2014)

Pictured above is a dummy book for my middle grade fantasy novel: The Tale of Willaby Creek. I assembled my manuscript inside a "view binder" with the thought that jotting down notes and comments would be easier for my awesome beta reader - since she can do so on the blank sides of the pages. I'm hoping that the mock cover will give her a sense that she is reading a real book. (I "borrowed" this idea from a writer friend; I acted as one of his beta readers several years ago.)

While I have someone who acts as my editor, he uses the software that makes changes/comments in red directly on the electronic copy of my manuscript. I've never liked it, or gotten used to it, but I work with it. However, I'm well aware that I need to get on board with the current software available to writers today as I continue on my writer's journey.

The thing is, prior to sending it to an editor, I really enjoy the hands on approach to crafting a story. From penning a handwritten outline, to creating 3 X 5 inch character cards, to sketching a cover design that my talented husband brings to life after I've completed a manuscript. I find I'm much more in touch with my own story by doing these tasks, and it's great fun. Sometimes going back to basics is the best way!

Do you ever use old fashioned techniques when crafting your stories?