Friday, June 1, 2012

Storyteller's Journey

            Where Is the Magic?

As I near the end of my third revision on my WIP, I have come to a most unfortunate realization: It's missing something - there is no magic! In an attempt to strive for a stellar story, my manuscript reads like something I would receive a C+ grade for - from a high school English teacher!
This past week I have scrutinized the wonderful stories I admire and asked the question: Why are they so special? Obviously, there are as many different reasons as there are Newbery Medal Award winners! However, for my purposes, I have come up with a list of attributes that most award-winning stories have in common. As I begin my fourth revision next week, I'm hoping to take my manuscript from the mundane, to the magical.

These are some points for me to ponder:

1) Character Development - When J. K. Rowling wrote the first book in her Harry Potter series, her own mother had recently passed away. She states that tapping into her own grief allowed her to create believable emotions for Harry. Can I dig deeper, to create stronger characters?

2) Distinct Voices - Developing a distinct voice for each character gives the reader a better insight to each of them, and can be very entertaining. As I've read through my WIP, I have noticed that my characters' voices (with two exceptions) sound too similar.
I have more work to do with voice.

3) Interesting Word Choices - This is something I love in a good book. However, even though it's important to me, I can tell my writing became lazy toward the end of my story. Add this to the list, too.

4) Rhythm in the Text - This goes along with the previous point. I enjoy reading a book that is somewhat poetic in style. (Great example: The Underneath, by Kathi Appelt.) Here, too, my writing became routine. Lots of work to do.

5) Suspense and Surprises - Like most readers, I love a few little (and not so little) surprises that an author weaves into her novel.
Did I hold enough back? The answer is no!

6) Colorful Setting Descriptions - This is one area that I feel I did a decent job. However, it also needs to be reviewed.

7) Humor - This point I failed miserably. Although I love good humor, I'm terrible at it. I'm not sure I can pull this one off!

8) Fatal Flaws in Characters - My protagonist comes off too perfect - with the exception of a slight anger problem. Today's MG readers don't want "sugar, and spice, and everything nice."
All my primary characters need to be more textured.

9) Engaging Hero's Journey - I feel so-so about this point. However, the initial challenge to my main character needs to be emphasized more. Set a better hook!

10) Special Ingredient - This is by far the most important item on my list, and it may be the most difficult to attain. Every winning story includes a bit of the author herself - something that is unique to her personality. It is that one element that comes from you, and you alone. It might be your gift of humor, a painful childhood experience, or your quirky outlook on life. Whatever it is to each one of us, we can't afford to leave it out - it's like breathing life into our words. It is that special ingredient that will set our stories apart. For me, one of my "special ingredients" is my love of nature. It shows up in almost everything I write - including my historical fiction manuscript.
I need to determine that I have integrated the subject of nature into my story, not merely tacked it on.

It may seem like I'm being a bit hard on myself...but being my own toughest critic is the best chance I have of attaining my writing goals.

I'd love for you to share how you add "the magic" to your manuscripts!