Friday, October 9, 2026

Storyteller's Journey

Learning from a Legend

Earlier this week my husband and I attended a fundraiser for FVRL - our local library. The special guest speaker was the award-winning author, Amy Tan. Learning from talented writers is always inspirational for me, and hearing Ms. Tan was no exception. She shared about how in 2016 the racism targeted at Asian women had hit her hard. She'd found solace in taking an art class to learn how to draw the birds in her own backyard. And draw them she did! She filled journals with her amazing renditions. 

Those journals became the #1 New York Times Best Seller: The Backyard Bird Chronicles. Over the last ten years, Ms. Tan has observed and documented over 60 bird species near her home in Marin County, California. In the process, she transformed her backyard into a protected avian habitat. I actually purchased this little tome a couple of months ago, so I took my copy to the dinner to have her sign it. If you're a lover of nature, this beautiful book should not be missed!

The old quote says: Never meet your heroes. However, when I met Amy Tan, she was delightful, humble, and funny. While we briefly talked, my husband chatted with her husband Lou DeMattei just to Amy's right - he was hilarious! All in all, we had a fantastic night at the FVRL Authors & Illustrators dinner.