Friday, September 27, 2024

Storyteller's Journey

A Fantasy World

Since I live in the corner of the country made famous by Bigfoot, vampires, and werewolves, it's not surprising that when I began to write, I wrote fantasy stories, and still do.
Public Domain Photo

Writing (and reading) can not only be a form of entertainment, but a way of escaping a world too difficult to deal with - like the one we live in right now. For the most part, I try to stay out of the current chaos. It's not that I'm sticking my head in the sand during these tumultuous times, it's just that after a while, listening to the constant rhetoric reminds me of children saying, "You did it first!" However, I find the recent racial bent to the rhetoric, deplorable. This is not the example the young people of our country should be seeing! If adults act like this, how do we expect the leaders of tomorrow to act? Our youth are the future fabric of our nation. Will it be strong, or will it be torn apart?

This was, in part, my motivation for the protagonist of my middle grade novel to bring an era of peace to the world. It's sad to think that that idea would be set in the plot of a fantasy novel, but here we are. Maybe, by some miracle, my middle grade fantasy series - The Time Travel Tales of Livvi Biddle - will not only entertain young readers, but might introduce them to iconic historic figures, customs and cultures of different countries, and might plant a seed in their minds as to a better way to understand different types of people. We'll see...

(I'll be away from Writ of Whimsy for a few weeks. See you soon!)