Friday, January 17, 2020

Storyteller's Journey

Lindstrom Wintertime Tales
Unexpected Validation

Since my first book's release in 2014, I've received consistent support for my stories, especially for the Lindstrom Wintertime Tales. It helps that my illustrations are from the fine artist, Michael Lindstrom.


That being said, most of my sales - and positive feedback - come in a face to face fashion. My most successful event is always the annual holiday festival, ScanFair, held in Portland, Oregon, each December.


It's probably not surprising, since the holiday event focuses on Christmas - which is always featured in my Lindstrom Wintertime Tales. (I've also released a middle grade novel, The Tale of Willaby Creek, that is a fantasy tale featuring anthropomorphic animals.)

However, I was completely taken aback when last month we had several return customers visiting our booth. They all asked, in various ways: "When will your next book be released? We thought you might have a new one this year." I felt encouraged and frustrated at the same time. How exciting is it to have a fan give you that validation, when it was completely unexpected? I felt like I'd received a kick in the behind. It's not that I haven't been writing, I have. I have a complete manuscript of a third tale, and am presently writing a fourth. However, my husband's art career has kept him very busy of late, so the illustrations for the books are lagging behind. We hope to remedy that this year.

As 2020 begins to unfold, I'm not only working on a fourth Lindstrom Wintertime Tale, I'm revising the work I completed during NaNoWriMo, as well as another MG novel set in WWII France. I'm also still hoping to continue querying my longtime completed project, Livvi Biddle.

Keeping a fan base happy is something I'd never thought about! 

Next Friday, I'll discuss my main goal for 2020. Happy writing!