Friday, April 19, 2019

Storyteller's Journey


Photos from my 2014 trip to France
Honoring Notre Dame Cathedral

On this Easter weekend my mind wanders to memories of Notre-Dame de Paris; we visited the landmark in 2014. Besides the fact that Notre Dame Cathedral is one of the most visited sites in Europe - Paris, and Notre Dame Cathedral in particular, is included in a middle grade series of books I'm working on. Researching the cathedral was one of my goals in visiting Paris. So on Monday, like so many around the world, I wept as I watched the spire and roof collapse.

While I'm an American, the part of my ancestry that is French is important to me. Seeing the majestic structure was a moving experience, to say the least. Knowing that the cathedral is centuries-old, walking into the nave of the church in 2014 & seeing the stained glass windows, silenced my soul. Famed French author and poet Victor Hugo wrote The Hunchback of Notre-Dame, in part, to celebrate the French Gothic cathedral that was about to be no more; instead, his novel served to resurrect the iconic landmark. 

Having this tragedy occur during Easter Week makes it all the more painful. However, maybe the fact that it did happen during this week will serve as inspiration and strength for the people of France in their monumental task of rebuilding Notre-Dame de Paris. 
Because that extraordinary European landmark is not just important to the French people, or to Catholics, but to all people of the world. 

Happy Easter! Happy Passover!