Friday, January 16, 2015

Storyteller's Journey

Public Domain Photo by George Hodan
Clearing Cobwebs

This week I've finally started writing a new, and hopefully exciting, story. But clearing the cobwebs in my mind after the holidays was not easy. That got me thinking of ways to do just that.

Here's a list of ways I came up with to clear the cobwebs of my mind:

1- Allow yourself time to fully recover from an intense season of your life. Whether it's the holidays, a summer vacation, or the birth of a baby, you need time to get back to your normal routine.

2- Once you've allowed yourself the appropriate time to get back to normal, make sure you don't procrastinate. Make a detailed list of goals (with deadlines) that you want to accomplish in the coming months and follow through with steps to make them happen.

3- If it seems difficult to grasp hold of creative or imaginative ideas then mix it up. Most libraries and community centers offer free classes or meetings. A great way to clear the cobwebs of your mind is to engage in an activity you've not previously participated in. While it might seem counter-productive to spend time on a new activity or hobby, I've found just the opposite to be true.

4- Be a member of a critique group. Hearing about other writers' stories and accomplishments might be just the kick in the pants you need. (My critique group took a winter break; I  can't wait to meet with my writer friends in a few weeks!)

5- Read a book on the craft of writing, and then follow up by working on one of the techniques mentioned in the book. It might be just the thing to jumpstart your writing.

6- Another point to remember is that if you have responsibilities you've not taken care of, by all means fulfill your responsibilities. There is no way I can write if there is a chore or project constantly on my mind. (That's why I write in the afternoon: the household chores, errands, and appointments have been completed for the day.)

7- Lastly, if all else fails...get away! Sometimes the hubbub of our lives is just too much. Whether it's spending the day writing at the library, at a friend's house, or even at a quiet cabin, getting away might be just what you need.

I'm spending this long weekend in Cannon Beach, Oregon with my husband Michael. One of the things we'll be doing is putting our heads together in an attempt to come up with a rough draft for another children's book. Below is a photo (from my archives) of the coastal area we'll be visiting:


Wishing each one of you luck clearing any cobwebs in your mind!