Friday, July 27, 2012

Storyteller's Journey

           Inspire a Generation

The Olympic Games have always been high on my list of television broadcasts to watch. Each and every Olympic Games that I have seen has awed and inspired me. Even some of the Games that occurred well before my time have amazed me - like the 1924 Summer Olympics held in Paris - made famous by the movie blockbuster, Chariots of Fire; or the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin, where Jesse Owens won four gold medals in track and field under the glaring eyes of Adolph Hitler. More recently, in the 2008 Summer Olympics held in Beijing, China, Michael Phelps swam to eight gold medals surpassing the record of swimming-great, Mark Spitz.

These are all off the chart performances that will long be remembered in Olympic history. But, what of the athletes who never win a medal? The accomplishment of making the Olympic Team and representing one's own country is an extraordinary experience that, for most of us, is beyond our comprehension. The years of dedication and discipline, while sometimes persevering through pain, make all of the Olympians champions in my mind. Even though my passion is focused on writing, not sports, these young athletes still fuel my fire to excel. Tonight, as the Parade of Athletes enter the Olympic Stadium in London - under the watchful eyes of Queen Elizabeth II, and millions of viewers around the world- they will stride in under the 2012 Olympic motto: Inspire a Generation. I would say to each and every athlete: you already have. Let the Games begin!

Public Domain