Monday, November 21, 2011

Bibliophile's Corner

Spells
by Aprilynne Pike

Flap Copy description:
"I just can't storm in and proclaim my intentions. I can't 'steal' you away. I just have to wait and hope that, someday, you'll ask," Tamani said.
"And if I don't?" Laurel said, her voice barely above a whisper.
"Then I guess I'll be waiting forever."


Although Laurel has come to accept her true identity as a faerie, she refuses to turn her back on her human life, and especially her boyfriend, David - to return to the faerie world.
But when she is summoned to Avalon, Laurel's feelings for the charismatic faerie sentry Tamani are undeniable. She is forced to make a choice - a choice that could break her heart.

My thoughts:
This sequel to Aprilynne Pike's debut story, Wings, about Laurel - a teenage girl who discovers she's a faerie - is wonderful. The character development and delightful dialogue in Spells are skillfully written. Her descriptions of the faerie world - Avalon - paint a beautiful picture of that fantasy setting. I am looking forward to reading her third book in this series, Illusions.