Friday, July 22, 2011

Storyteller's Journey

Earlier this week, the writers' critique group that meets at our home hosted authors Carolyn J. Rose and Mike Nettleton. This married couple is quite the "deadly duo" hence their web site: http://www.deadlyduomysteries.com/
They were invited to share their experiences in regards to publishing; they have published books traditionally, and independently as well.
After a great evening of good food and good information - Carolyn said something to me quite unexpected. She knows I have written a children's short story; and my husband, Michael, has illustrations for it. She encouraged me to submit my work to an agent - even though the word count is too high for a picture book these days. While I have been busily trying to finish my MG animal fantasy novel; I have completely set aside The Scandinavian Santa. These words of encouragement, coming from a published author, meant the world to me - thanks Carolyn! While I still plan on focusing on finishing The Tale of Willaby Creek, I will probably take Carolyn's advice as well. Isn't multi-tasking fun?