Friday, April 20, 2018

Storyteller's Journey

Strength from Nature

While recently working in my backyard, I was again reminded that Nature is one of my greatest inspirations. (I actually like to weed my flower garden!) As I nestled down in the moist earth, the sights, sounds, and smells permeated my soul. I was strengthened as the cares of my life fell away.


I heard a flock of geese flying overhead, then saw them glide through the air in perfect formation. Later, our neighborhood eagle squawked as he soared over my head and then landed lightly atop the evergreen where he's nested for over a decade. (His view of the Columbia River from that tree upon the hill must be magnificent!) My life is always refreshed and rejuvenated when I commune with the natural world.


As a writer, it is imperative that I have a clear conscience and a clear mind when penning my stories for children. Spending time amongst God's creation is not only inspirational, it cleanses my soul. My being is centered and I am better equipped to tap into my creativity. But more than that, I'm reminded of what is truly important in my life. Living each moment is easier to do when my hands are in touch with the soil of our planet. Trees, flowers, and birds have become my family, my friends. It's not surprising, then, that every story for children that I've ever written includes the flora and fauna of the settings in each of my tales.

This quote helps me during the current climate of chaos in our world:


Happy Earth Day!