Monday, February 3, 2014

Bibliophile's Corner

Cornelia and the Audacious Escapades of the Somerset Sisters
by Lesley M.M. Blume

Amazon Description:
Eleven-year-old Cornelia is the daughter of two world-famous pianists - a legacy that should feel fabulous, but instead feels just plain lonely. She surrounds herself with dictionaries and other books to isolate herself from the outside world. But when a glamorous neighbor named Virginia Somerset moves next door with her servant Patel and a French bulldog named Mister Kinyatta, Cornelia discovers that the world is a much more exciting place than she originally thought.

My Thoughts: To be honest, when I began reading this book I was not sure whether or not I would like it. The young protagonist, Cornelia, was delightful enough, but the first story told by Virginia Somerset seemed to be merely entertainment. How would the storytelling grande dame's adventures propel this middle grade novel? The answer to that is that Ms. Blume skillfully intertwined the lonely life of Cornelia with the intriguing life of her extraordinary neighbor, so that by the end of this novel we have seen Cornelia's life dramatically transformed. I am so glad I completed reading Cornelia and the Audacious Escapades of the Somerset Sisters!! In fact, it is now probably one of my favorite children's books. Complete with references to world cities and an in depth look at the world of music, art, and literature, this book is a wonderful novel for the young female bookworm, artist, musician, or budding writer. In fact, it would be a wonderful way to introduce the world of fine arts to a young girl. I would highly recommend Cornelia and the Audacious Escapades of the Somerset Sisters to female readers from the ages of eight to twelve.

To learn more about the extraordinary life of Lesley M. M. Blume, the author, click here: http://lesleymmblume.com/bio/

6 comments:

  1. I wanted to tell you, I was at the library with my kids the other day and saw several books on display that you had spotlighted here. I checked all the ones I recognized out. Thanks for the spotlights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Sara. I know my book reviews are, for the most part, for writers of middle grade fiction, but it's nice to know that a parent has benefitted from my posts as well. Since you're also a writer, I know you know the importance of reading to a writer. Staying on track with these reviews keeps me reading MG novels! Have a great week!

      Delete
  2. I read this book awhile back, and I remember liking it very much. I like it when music and art show up in books as forces to be reckoned with. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Elizabeth! I'm not surprised you've read this, being the cultured soul that you are. ^_^

      Delete
  3. What a cute cover. This book sounds unique & full of personality. I love when books include a piece of the art or music world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Amanda - I think it's important to offer young readers books that are not only entertaining, but educational. In this case, the novel offers insights to the world of fine arts.

      Delete