Friday, January 3, 2014

Storyteller's Journey

Walking into 2014

On New Year's Day my husband drove down our country road to do some plein air painting. After I finished my morning chores I picked up my camera and padded down the road to see him.

I thought I'd share with you a photo tour of my New Year's Day walk. This little creek is about three blocks down the road from our house. It's amazing how much beauty is all around me when I take the time to notice.

As if on cue to say hello, this flock of geese honked as they passed overhead. With so much water near our home, the birds offer a common sight and sound in our neighborhood - they are welcome guests that I cherish seeing and hearing.

Mimsi Marsh is a wildlife refuge for a variety of animal and bird species - I've mentioned it on this blog before. It's also a favorite subject for my husband to paint. (I stopped and took this photo when he was just ahead on the road.)

As I came upon Michael, I could see that he was focused on his work, so I walked in back of him and snapped this shot. He was painting the east end of the marsh...and would want me to mention that this painting is far from finished!

After visiting with Michael for a few minutes, I said good bye and turned around to head back for the return walk. These withered winter berries looked so lovely, that when my husband saw this photo he vowed to paint them.

Heading west from the marsh, I took a chance at standing directly on this lonely stretch of railroad tracks. The distant fog seemed to bring to mind a poem, or maybe even a novel of mystery and intrigue. (The road is on the right.)

These photos I've shared with you represent some of the lovely locations that are within two miles of our house. One of my New Year's resolutions is to take this walk more often. (I snapped this shot of the Columbia River near our home.)

As a writer, it is important that I not only experience life, but that I enjoy it. Allowing the wonders that are all around to inspire me, is just as important as the word counts I accomplish or the workshops I attend. I hope this photo tour has provided each of you with some inspiration as you proceed on your own storyteller's journey this year.

           Here's wishing you an awesome year of writing in 2014!