Friday, January 24, 2014

Storyteller's Journey

A Golden Chance

While straightening up my growing collection of children's books recently, I came upon several vintage copies of Little Golden Books from my childhood. (The three pictured here are the most rare in my collection.) I can't see a Little Golden Book without thinking of my maternal grandmother who not only partially raised me, but who taught me how to read when I was a four-year-old.

After taking a few moments down memory lane in the middle of organizing numerous titles, it dawned on me that these little books (along with many other children's books) had seen me through some pretty tough times. They had also set my feet upon a lifelong path of reading, writing, and later, of pursuing my goal of publication.

It occurs to me that although as writers we are consumed with writing a stellar manuscript (and rightfully so), it is also important to remember that the sacred act of writing a book for a child is our golden chance to better the world of tomorrow. Although I can only remember the actual stories of a few of my Little Golden Books, my grandmother's gentle guidance in my life - through books - steered me in a positive direction that would later determine the course of my adult life. As the award-winning children's book author Gary Schmidt said at the SCBWI Summer Conference in 2012, "Writing for children is a calling."

While preparing to write this post I researched Little Golden Books and discovered a recently-released grown-up Little Golden Book: Everything I Need to Know I Learned From a Little Golden Book, by Diane Muldrow. Obviously I had to add it to my collection!

Back Cover Description:

One day, Diane Muldrow, a longtime editor of the iconic Little Golden Books, realized that there is hardly a real-life situation these whimsical books don't address. In this age of debt, depression, and diabetes, can grown-ups benefit from a Little Golden guide to life? Yes, we can!

Muldrow's humorous yet practical tips for getting the most out of life - Don't forget to enjoy your wedding! Be a hugger! Sweatpants are bad for morale! - are paired with delightful images from the best-loved children's books of all time.

Sure to conjure memories and smiles, this book is a perfect gift for anyone who cherishes the sturdy little books with the shiny cardboard covers and gold-foil spines.

My Thoughts:
I thoroughly enjoyed this lovely little book with its upbeat tips and reminders to enjoy life. I would highly recommend Everything I Need to Know I Learned From a Little Golden Book to readers of all ages!

To learn more about Diane Muldrow, click here: http://www.dianemuldrow.com/