Monday, January 20, 2014

Bibliophile's Corner

Hatchet
by Gary Paulsen

Amazon Description:
Thirteen-year-old Brian Robeson is on his way to visit his father when the single-engine plane in which he is flying crashes. Suddenly, Brian finds himself alone in the Canadian wilderness with nothing but a tattered windbreaker and the hatchet his mother gave him as a present - and the dreadful secret that has been tearing him apart since his parents' divorce. But now Brian has no time for anger, self pity, or despair - it will take all his know-how and determination, and more courage than he knew he possessed, to survive.

My Thoughts:
Although I only recently read this wonderful middle grade novel, it won a Newbery Honor award in 1988. It reminded me of Jack London's The Call of the Wild or Jean Craighead George's Julie of the Wolves - both also award-winning novels. A story of survival, Hatchet is written with all of the twists and turns you would expect from an adventure children's book. In addition to being inspirational, it includes a reading study guide with worksheets for middle school teachers and their students. I would highly recommend Hatchet to readers from the ages of eight to twelve.

Click here to learn more about the author, Gary Paulsen: http://www.randomhouse.com/features/garypaulsen/about.html

6 comments:

  1. When I first glanced at the cover, for a second, I thought horror?!?!? I've seen too many commercials for that new Lizzie Bordan movie...haha. Thanks for the great review. The book sounds good. I love survival/adventure stories. I loved The Call of the Wild.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness, I must have missed those commercials - they sound gory! :-)

      Have a great week, Loree!

      Delete
  2. I read a YA book called Survive that I loved, the cover blurb compared it to this book. I had wanted to read it but forgot about it until now. Thanks for reminding me =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all your great posts over at Born Bookish, Amanda!

      Delete
  3. I loved this novel. Paulsen did an excellent job of giving us Brian's thought process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theresa, I really liked it too. I was surprised I had not heard of it until just recently.

      Delete