Friday, January 17, 2014

Storyteller's Journey

Cloak of Creativity

Recently, I watched the documentary on David McCullough called, Painting with Words. In it he mentions that although he has been blessed with a level of success as an author, it is the actual act of writing that thrills him most. In the documentary he goes on to say that the idea of a new creative project is what keeps him going. If you get the chance, I strongly encourage you to watch this inspirational documentary. It contains great thoughts on writing...and on life.

It seems to me that whether or not you're a writer, a musician, or any other type of artist, your creativity has the ability to change the mundane into the miraculous - like a cloak of winter snow can change a seemingly random piece of landscape into a thing of beauty.

As time has gone by, I have slowly but surely come to embrace the extraordinary gift that writing has brought to me. The flow of my mind's thoughts placed upon paper - like a cloak of creativity - is what has transformed my own mundane existence into a miraculous life.

"Every book is a new journey. I never felt like I was an expert as I embarked on a project."  David McCullough

2 comments:

  1. A cloak of creativity! What a wonderful way to put it. Yes, I can see that, actually, as much as I want my work to be published so others can read it, it's the writing that's the spark in my life. I'm always wanting to "write it down" some way or another, to catch a moment, a thought, an insight. And, yes, it is transformative. It's also transcendent, which may be why it has such a magical effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Transformative and transcendent...I love that! Have a great week, Elizabeth.

      Delete