Friday, May 24, 2013

Storyteller's Journey

         Introvert Alert!

I don't normally review adult books on my blog, but since so many writers are introverts, I thought I'd mention Susan Cain's New York Times bestseller - Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking.
When I returned from my trip to the East Coast I picked up this book and couldn't put it down. Ms. Cain has written an inspired and informative text about introverts living in a predominantly extroverted world. The way introverts survive (or sometimes thrive) in that world is explored with some examples of a few successful introverts of our time. Since I fall into the introvert camp myself, I found this book extremely enlightening.

Here is a snippet of the Amazon synopsis:
At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking, reading to partying; who innovate and create but dislike self-promotion; who favor working on their own over brainstorming in teams. Although they are often labeled "quiet," it is to introverts that we owe many of the great contributions to society - from Van Gogh's sunflowers to the invention of the personal computer.

If you'd like to learn more about this book, or the author - Susan Cain, click here: http://www.thepowerofintroverts.com/about-the-author/

6 comments:

  1. I'll have to check it out. It looks like something I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Cain included information from some of the most recent studies on the topic of introversion - it really is quite inspiring. Have a great weekend, Sara!

      Delete
  2. I have this book on my to-read pile. I imagine myself reading it on a sunny day off, in the back garden, with only the sound of the black bird twittering in the background.

    I find quiet restorative. And if I'm quiet at times, don't be fooled, there's a heck of a lot going on in my mind. Too much sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound like a true introvert, Debbie - getting restored by your contemplative time. Ms. Cain's book will definitely be right up your alley!

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, I have to get my hands on this book. Thanks so much for spotlighting it here, Victoria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, this book contains an inspiring new perspective on how to view one's introversion - great stuff!

      Delete