Monday, May 20, 2013

Bibliophile's Corner

The Flame in the Mist
by Kit Grindstaff

Amazon Description:
Fiery-headed Jemma Agromond is not what she thinks she is, and when secrets and lies behind he life at mist-shrouded Agromond Castle begin to unravel, she finds herself in a chilling race for her life. Ghosts and misfits, a stone and crystals, a mysterious book, an ancient prophecy - all these reveal the truth about Jemma's past and a destiny far greater and more dangerous than she could have imagined in her wildest fantasies. With her telepathic golden rats, Noodle and Pie, and her trusted friend, Digby, Jemma navigates increasingly dark forces, as helpers both seen and unseen, gather. But in the end, it is her own powers that she must bring to light, for only she has the key to defeating the evil ones and fulfilling the prophecy that will bring back the sun and restore peace to Anglavia.

My Thoughts:
Kit Grindstaff has created an Old World magical tale full of twists and turns in a magnificent medieval setting. Although I thoroughly enjoyed this upper middle grade adventure fantasy, I would have liked to have seen the heart of the protagonist, Jemma, developed more. That being said, this story is well-written, and has a unique plot that I believe readers from the ages of eight to fourteen will enjoy immensely.

To learn more about the author, Kit Grindstaff, click here: http://www.kitgrindstaff.com/

6 comments:

  1. I like "old world magic" stories and ghost tales. This sounds like it has a lot of elements that make it intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth. I failed to mention that this book is Ms. Grindstaff's first novel - a very impressive debut.

      Delete
  2. Well, I am a sucker for anyone with red hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Sara. One of my secondary characters in my MG manuscript is a red-head. I know it's stereotyping, but that trait seems to immediately make the character feisty! ^_^

      Delete
  3. I love the setting of this book. Is it a series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure, Brandi. The ending was fairly final, but you know as well as I do that if a book is successful an author can create a sequel if she really wants to! ^_^ By the way, Goodreads calls this book a YA novel, but the protagonist is 12-13. It read more like an upper middle grade novel to me. (My favorite age bracket.^_^)

      Delete