Friday, April 12, 2013

Storyteller's Journey

Parlez-vous Francais?

Since my middle grade manuscript has been completed, but not yet fully edited, I decided to proceed with the research on the second book in the proposed series of Livvi Biddle. Much of the second book takes place in France, so I registered for a conversational French class to brush up on my high school French. Unfortunately, the instructor for the class ONLY speaks French.

My French was more rusty than I expected, so I decided to invest in a couple of digital language courses to get at least a bit brushed up. Once I can speak at a level that I won't embarrass myself, I'll return to the French class!

As I research Claude Monet, Giverny, and Paris in the 1920's, I'm hoping that immersing myself in the language will put me in a French frame of mind. Recently I watched Les Miserables... AGAIN!

Do you do anything special to enhance your approach to writing?