Friday, April 19, 2024

Storyteller's Journey

An Awakening

When a person is told they have a life-threatening disease, many issues in life become trivial. For me, family, friends, and Mother Nature were all that seemed to still matter. 

As I continue to recover from cancer, little things, like gazing at a blossoming tree can bring tears to my eyes. Why is that?

I believe it's because I took so much of my life for granted. Things that had always been there, at some point, were overlooked. 

As spring continues to unfold, the wonder of life is all around me. 
(I recently learned that my first grandchild will arrive this fall!) I am so grateful that I survived; that I am still alive. I would describe my previous life as being in black and white, while my life after cancer is in full color. It's as though I've had a life-altering awakening. 

While I wouldn't wish a cancer diagnosis on anyone, I will say, if that's where your journey has led you, and you're lucky enough to survive, be sure to take advantage of your new perspective on life. You will have earned it. Wishing all cancer patients hope, love, and perseverance.