Friday, May 31, 2019

Storyteller's Journey

Imagine Dragon - by Kent Kraber
Unexpected Inspiration

Last week I was lucky enough to spend a short vacation in Coronado, CA. As my husband and I strolled down the main thoroughfare of Orange Avenue in the heart of the city, we came upon this beautiful sculpture. As we admired the dragon created by Kent Kraber, I realized that we were in front of the Coronado Library. Needless to say, I just had to take a peek inside!



Since I was born in Coronado, during our last two visits to the "Crown City" I've attempted to take in as much culture and history that I can; there is so much that is wrapped around the island paradise. While it's not a huge community, there is so much to see and enjoy. However, what I was about to see inside this historic library took my breath away!





As we walked in, I looked to my left and saw this glass wall of art that welcomes visitors to the Coronado Library Children's section! Inside, there is a great selection of children's books, a display of historic books and artifacts, as well as places for children to read and relax. Just an idyllic place for a young reader to spend a Saturday afternoon.


As we continued walking, we came upon this sign. We had just happened to visit Coronado at the precise time to enjoy an exhibit featuring the art of Dr. Seuss!

Included in the art exhibit are several first edition books by Dr. Seuss. I vaguely recalled hearing that Seuss lived near San Diego, although he was born in Springfield, MA. What's funny, is that while I was attending an SCBWI conference in Springfield, years ago, I visited the Seuss museum - quite by accident. Once again, I had stumbled upon an exhibit of the iconic author/illustrator's work.


And, what fabulous art it is! I was drawn to this painting, in particular. The yellow on blue I found mesmerizing. (Sorry, I failed to record some of the titles of the Seuss artwork.)

By the way, this is no small exhibit! Both sides of a wide corridor feature the art by Theodor Seuss Geisel! Never did I expect to visit an art exhibit - while on my vacation - that is so closely tied to children's books. I had hit the jackpot!

Here's another one of my favorites: I Dreamed I Was A Doorman at The Hotel Del Coronado. Since we were guests at the Del, this one was special on multiple levels.

If you are planning to visit Coronado or San Diego this summer, be sure to check out this fantastic art exhibit - it runs through August 15, 2019. Click here to learn more opportunities to experience the creativity of Dr. Seuss in San Diego/Coronado, California. Enjoy!