Friday, May 10, 2019

Storyteller's Journey


Music as Writing Inspiration

While I've penned a post before on how my past experience as a musician has impacted me as a writer, today I want to reflect on how listening to music inspires a writer. Most writers have their favorite tunes to listen to while they craft a story. (As I'm working on the world building for my middle grade novel I'm listening to classical music.) But why do we choose to listen to the music that we do?



While I can't speak to other writers' motivations for their musical preferences, for me, it has all to do with matching the music to the type of story I'm writing. Most days I like to listen to classical; it seems to inspire the drama I'm looking for in my stories. Some of my favorite sound tracks are: The King's Speech; The Lord of the Rings; and Cloud Atlas. While most of my stories are fantasy or magical realism, my current work in progress is historical fiction - it's set during WW II in France. Consequently, I've been enjoying the music of the iconic French singer, Edith Piaf. Listen to her signature song, La vie en rose:



Does music inspire your writing? If so, what genre?