Friday, January 8, 2016

Storyteller's Journey

     Why Setting Goals is Grand
I've been setting serious goals since I was a ten-year-old, and while I've not achieved all of them, I have achieved most of them. So when it comes to approaching a new year, I've never made any resolutions - goals just work better for me. Photo Credit: Public Domain

That being said, I take goal setting very seriously, and always make a step by step plan to hopefully reach a goal in a set amount of time. Life changes, a change of interest, and other factors have occasionally derailed me. However, looking back I can honestly say that setting a goal, and following steps to reach it, is what makes me happy and how I run my life. That's not to say I've already reached all my goals. Some take a lot of time. Some are lifelong dreams, like leaving a legacy.

Since becoming a published author I have discovered that goals work really well for a writer. I would go so far as to say I believe it's very difficult - if not impossible - to get published without making a goal.

Here are just a few of the goals I made on New Year's Day:

* Complete a rewrite of my middle grade novel - Livvi Biddle - by May.
* Work with Michael (my husband and illustrator) to complete the
   illustrations for Journey to Snowdonia.
*Write the first draft for another picture book I have outlined.

So, I made a step by step plan to hopefully accomplish these goals.
I want to reach all three of them - at different times - during 2016.

I believe one of the things that makes setting goals so grand - besides the fact that they work - is that each step that's accomplished in the process can be celebrated and savored for its own significance.


I hope your dreams come true; wishing you a great year of writing!