Monday, August 4, 2014

Bibliophile's Corner

The Apple Tart of Hope
by Sarah Moore Fitzgerald

Flap Copy Description:
Oscar Dunleavy, who used to make the world's most perfect apple tarts, is missing, presumed dead. No one seems too surprised, except for Meg, his best friend, and his little brother Stevie. Surrounded by grief and confusion, Meg and Stevie are determined to find out what happened to Oscar, and together they learn about loyalty and friendship and the power of never giving up.


My Thoughts:
I discovered this captivating book when I was perusing through the children's section in Shakespeare and Company in Paris. The reason that is important is due to the fact that I allowed myself just one purchase at the iconic bookstore in an attempt to stay within the budget we'd set for our trip to Europe. With all the books I could choose from, The Apple Tart of Hope was the one I selected. I made an awesome decision! There is so much to love about this original novel - not the least of which is it's written with stellar style, contains awesome character development, and its alternating point of view chapters are entitled: Slice One, Slice Two, and so on. It's one of those books that leaves you full of hope and inspired, without being corny. I would highly recommend The Apple Tart of Hope to readers from the ages of ten to fourteen.