Friday, April 11, 2014

Storyteller's Journey

Taken from an overpass on the I-5 Freeway in Washington State
This Writer's Road Trip

Although I'll not be travelling this rural road tomorrow, I will pass by it on my way to the Western Washington SCBWI Spring Conference in Redmond, WA.

It's been just about a year since I last attended a major writers' event, so I'm super excited to hear the gifted authors, agents, and editors at the  SCBWI conference. I'll be sure and give you an update on my experience here on Writ of Whimsy next week.

It always amazes me how much I glean from attending a conference, retreat, or workshop. Obviously there is a ton of great inspiration and great information to be had by attendees at these events; but for me, they always seems to offer a sort of "jump start" to my writing. Seeing all the committed professionals in the Kidlit world reminds me that I'm not the only one who's received rejection letters, worked hard, or struggled with feelings of doubt and despair. Although that might sound like misery loves company, it's really more of a feeling of camaraderie: almost like soldiers with a similar tale to tell of their days in battle.

(Reaching my goal of acquiring a publisher for my picture book
The Scandinavian Santa was a milepost, not a destination. I hope I have many more mileposts along the way on my Storyteller's Journey!)

Are you planning on attending a writers' event in the near future?