Friday, May 4, 2012

Storyteller's Journey

Manicuring My Manuscript

Last weekend I spent the first significant time this Spring in my garden. I was busy trimming the grass, pulling weeds, and planting geraniums, while my husband mowed the lawn.


I can remember many years ago, when I first began to take gardening seriously, that while I loved to plant pretty flowers, the thought of weeding did not appeal to me. (Ya think?) However, as the years have gone by, I have not only stopped hating to weed, I have actually grown to enjoy it. It is like a relaxing therapy for me.

It dawned on me that my writing experience is a bit like my gardening experience. When I began seriously writing I loved scribbling my stunning story with wonderful words. (At least I thought it was stunning! ^_^) However, the thought of revising and editing wasn't quite so exciting. Only now, after writing for nearly five years, am I beginning to enjoy manicuring my manuscript. Seeing my story begin to shine is exciting and rewarding - just like weeding my garden!

Do you enjoy revising your work, or merely endure it?


5 comments:

  1. Victoria, I, too, have come to that point after many years of writing...revising is not such a bad thing anymore, almost pleasant. And, although I hate yardwork, I find weeding rather relaxing.

    I enjoyed this analogy. Have a good weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I hope you have a wonderful weekend, too!

      Delete
  2. I love gardening, and weeding, not that you could tell from my yard currently. I enjoy both of those things. Editing scared me at first. It was such a big job and what if I did it wrong? Doesn't matter if I did the first draft wrong, that's what editing is for but what if I messed up editing? Now I enjoy editing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara. I should clarify one thing: I also have an editor that I call my "Grammar Girl," she helps me immensely. My strength is more on the side of being a bit of a storyteller. The revising was even a challenge in the beginning. I felt if I was meant to be a writer I shouldn't have so many revisions. HaHa! Take care ~

      Delete
  3. I love gardening and I'm enjoying the editing process.

    ReplyDelete