Friday, November 18, 2022

Storyteller's Journey

Livvi Biddle Comes to Life

Eleven years ago, I began researching, outlining, and ultimately writing a middle grade novel about a young girl I named Livvi Biddle. (The simple sketch at the left was something I created for my own use as I proceeded with my manuscript.)


Since that time, I've grown as a writer, learned a lot about the publishing world, submitted queries to over two dozen agents, and continued to research and outline additional stories in what I've always hoped would be a middle grade series. My husband and I even traveled to Europe, in large part for me to do the research needed for the stories set in different countries. We also collaborated to create and publish a small, separate series of books we call Lindstrom Wintertime Tales. To be able to publish them the way we wanted to, I formed a publishing company: Thistleberry Books. We had them printed, at our expense, by one of the same printers that major publishers use.

In all that time, Livvi Biddle has always been my main focus, if not in public, at least in my heart as a writer. One exciting thing that has happened in the last decade is the improvement of how an author might publish her own work. It used to be that independently published books could only be created as paperbacks in portrait format. (Unless you did what we did with our Lindstrom Wintertime Tales.) Now, you can finally have a children's novel printed on demand in hardback via Amazon. While, of course, Create Space takes their cut, the author's portion is comparable to what she'd make via a traditional publisher - after the agent and illustrator took their cut. Since I have my own wonderful illustrator - my fine artist husband, Michael Lindstrom - and I don't need an agent, publishing independently has suddenly not only become an acceptable choice, but it's also become my first choice.

So, today I'm announcing that Livvi Biddle - The Sibylline Scroll will be published next year! The release date will be sometime in the fall of 2023. To receive occasional updates, follow this blog, or subscribe to my quarterly newsletter via my website here on the Contact Page.
Now comes more work with my editor, book formatter, cover designer, etc. It's so exciting to know that Livvi Biddle will finally come to life.

I'm looking forward to you meeting my protagonist, Livvi Biddle!