Friday, September 23, 2022

Storyteller's Journey

The End of an Era?

While I'm a true-blue American, I have strong ties to Europe, since three of the four branches of my family immigrated to the U.S. in the early part of the twentieth century: one from England, one from Norway, and one from France, by way of Italy. (The fourth had emigrated from England the first part of the eighteenth century.)
My Norwegian grandmother told me stories of how she sent care packages to her relatives living in Norway during World War II.

I've always had strong ties to my Norwegian roots, as well as to those from France. However, since both my father and mother were/are half English, I'm half English too. So, when Queen Elizabeth II passed away earlier this month, I found myself mourning Her Majesty. Call me old fashioned, but her dignity, sense of duty, and commitment to service, were traits I always admired.

During the days leading up to her funeral, the television coverage in the U.S. was blanketed with all sorts of bits of history and fascinating stories about the life and legacy of Queen Elizabeth II. Many commentators used the phrase: "It's the end of an era." For some reason that bothered me. While I know they were referring to her death, and the end of her historic reign, I reflected on the impact her dignity, duty, and service had had on the U.K., and really on the entire world. By all accounts, every single world leader would have been anxious to meet Her Majesty - maybe more than any other person on earth.

Why is that? 

I believe it's because of her commitment to serving her country in as non-biased a manner as humanly possible. Consequently, she was not only a Royal in title, but a Royal in her behavior. I'm sure it wasn't easy for her. It was a sacrifice, in so many ways. She was a peacemaker. And when she made a mistake, she always humbled herself and tried to make it right - even though she was the Queen of England.

Is it the end of an era of decency?

While Queen Elizabeth II is sadly now gone, her example lives on. How would our world change for the better if each of us vowed to do our best to be peacemakers - and to be people of service?

As an author of books for young readers, I enjoy challenging children to be all they can be - to shoot for the stars. However, it's important that we also remind children of those timeless characteristics of dignity, truth, and honor. There are too many voices of dishonor in our world right now. After all, our children will author the future of our planet.

While it's the end of the era of Queen Elizabeth II, may it never be the end of an era of decency. Keep calm and carry on.

By artist, Eleanor Tomlinson