Friday, January 22, 2021

Storyteller's Journey

Rewrite, Revise, Repeat

Since I began writing full time over a decade ago, I've slowly but surely found the process that works best for me. You might say, "isn't there one best way to write?" For me, the answer is "no." Beyond the question to outline or not (which I do), there's also the question of how many drafts it takes to complete your novel. I've completed four middle grade manuscripts, but only one is published. Two are completed first drafts, and the fourth has been rewritten six times since I began working on it nearly a decade ago.

The question of how many rewrites and revisions is necessary to complete a finished novel varies from author to author. My middle grade manuscript with six rewrites is a story that has had a metamorphosis as I've matured as a writer over the years.

The one thing I do know is that no one completes a novel in one draft.
After the initial draft is complete it's a matter of rewrite, revise, repeat.
(This is the method that works best for me, as well as many others.)

Right now, my dilemma is which manuscript to work on. I had thought I'd be rewriting my NaNoWriMo project from last November. However, other projects are calling out to me. If I'm lucky enough to have extra motivation for a particular story (which is not always the case), I tend to enjoy writing more - and am more productive - than when I'm working on a project like it's a job. I need to select from these four stories:

The Rabbit of Rouen - An historical fiction novel for middle grade readers. It's set in WWII France. (Only one draft is completed; it's my recent NaNoWriMo project.)

Cloud Mountain - A magical realism middle grade novel. It's set in the Guatemalan Highlands and was inspired by our trip there in 2018 - as well as the amazing young girl, Catarina, that we sponsor. (Only one draft is completed; it's my 2019 NaNoWriMo project.)

Livvi Biddle - A middle grade fantasy novel that has been my main focus for the last decade. After six rewrites, numerous revisions, multiple critiques, and a number of rejections by agents, for some reason I still have hope it might become an actual book. At some point I need to get it published (traditionally or independently), or shove it in a drawer and lock the key! The thing is, it's the only project I've completed that is even remotely ready for the eyes of an agent, and I still hope to gain agent representation someday. We'll see.

The Winter Wayfarer - A collaborative project I'm working on with my husband; it's the upcoming fourth story in our series of Lindstrom Wintertime Tales. This fantasy short story is set in the Shetland Islands of Scotland and has been rewritten three times, but still requires editing. The project also needs most of the paintings to be completed by Michael. We're both a bit weary from our last project together, although we're very pleased with the result of The Night of the North. (See the sidebar to check out the cover.) We are committed to publishing these stories independently to retain control of the artwork.

As you can see, while I've had four books independently published, I also have four manuscripts still sitting on my shelf! Then too, there are several more ideas rattling around in my brain. While it's tempting to begin a new story, I feel I must complete one of the above projects.

I'll make my decision very soon, and when I do, I'll blog about it.
No matter what, I'm in for a rewrite, a revision, and possibly, a repeat!