Friday, October 11, 2019

Storyteller's Journey

The Joy of Writing

Since embarking on my storyteller's journey in 2008, one important lesson I've learned is that a professional writer must write even when she doesn't want to. It is the one behavior that I believe separates a writer from an author. That being said, the sense of satisfaction after writing on a seemingly uninspired day, is priceless. Some of my best writing has occurred on days when I least expected it. And, because of that, I treat my career as a job; I show up even when I don't feel like it. Consequently, my life, and my writing career, have been transformed.

There are any number of inspirational quotes about perseverance, encouraging writers to just keep going. What I'm talking about is something akin to a runner's high. I've actually grown addicted to writing - in all its forms. Whether it's blogging, journaling, writing poetry, or working on my manuscript, I feel a flow of life as I type out words onto a digital page. However, that doesn't mean I'm able to write 2000 words everyday - which is what I'll need to do next month if I'm to be successful with NaNoWriMo!