Friday, March 8, 2019

Storyteller's Journey


Love is the Cure

In January my husband and I were lucky enough to attend the Elton John Farewell Tour in Glendale, Arizona. The reason I'm blogging about our experience is that Sir Elton John's message that Love is the Cure was laced throughout the concert and within all of his lyrics; that's a message that I attempt to include in the stories that I pen, and the words that I speak. I believe every author of children's books should make that her goal. However, it wasn't just his message, but the energy of the 71-year-old rock music legend. He seemed just as excited about performing in 2019, as he was in 1973 when I attended his concert in Portland, Oregon!

It was a thrill of a lifetime to dance with my husband, Michael, to the music of Elton John - live. It occurred to me that my taste in rock music hasn't changed much; Elton John and the Beatles were my favorites then, and now.

I was amazed that in the middle of "Trump Country," as images of a diverse cast of characters were displayed above Elton John, the crowd's cheering never wavered. A reminder that the arts can bridge a variety of beliefs.

So, thank you, Sir Elton, for an evening I'll always remember - not only for your fantastic performance, but because of how you've lived your extraordinary life - it's been so inspiring!


Check out this movie trailer of ROCKETMAN. It's a musical fantasy about the breakthrough years of Elton John's life - due out this May!