Friday, November 25, 2016

Storyteller's Journey

Living a Life of Gratitude

While families around America are celebrating this Thanksgiving weekend, my family is in a more somber mood. On the eve of the U.S. Presidential Election my younger sister, Karla, unexpectedly passed away. She had entered a Montana hospital with pneumonia, and due to a pre-existing health condition, her body could not withstand the attack to her system. She was only 59.

That being said, I've had a bit of time to reflect on this tragedy and have found comfort in the warm memories I have of my dear sister.

I'm reminded that even in times of trouble it is important to stay in a posture of gratitude. It's a choice. That's not always an easy thing to do. If it was easy to maintain a life of gratitude, everyone would do so.

So, I'm choosing to be grateful for the last time I saw my sister - it was at a 2015 family reunion. My husband took this special photograph.


We sat side by side chatting, laughing, and just catching up, in general. I am grateful that she was such a sweet sister. I already miss her so.

Karla is survived by three wonderful sons. I'm pictured here with two of them - Isaac (L) and Samuel (R) the morning of my sister's memorial service in Missoula, Montana. We vowed to stay in closer contact.


Be sure to give your family and/or friends a hug this weekend.


                               *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

Note: The winner of the signed copy of The Scandinavian Santa is Lee Blaylock. Congratulations, Lee!

                        Have a blessed Thanksgiving weekend.