Monday, April 11, 2016

Bibliophile's Corner

A Girl From Yamhill
A Memoir
by Beverly Cleary

Flap Copy Description:
Generations of children have grown up with Henry Huggins, Ramona Quimby, and all of their friends, families, and assorted pets. For everyone who has enjoyed the pranks and schemes, embarrassing moments, and all of the other poignant and colorful images of childhood brought to life in Beverly Cleary books, here is the fascinating true story of the remarkable woman who created them.

My Thoughts:
It is difficult to give an objective review of this memoir by Ms. Cleary, for while her childhood took place long before my own, it took place mere miles from where I grew up, and where I still live. Those familiar settings included in Ms. Cleary's biography leapt from the pages of her book, partly from the author's gifted pen, but also due to my own knowledge of many of the places mentioned. That being said, I read this book in one sitting - I could not put it down! A Girl From Yamhill is a look inside the amazing life of one of the true champions of children's literature. I highly recommend it to readers, and writers, of all ages.

Happy birthday to Beverly Cleary who turns 100 tomorrow!