Friday, January 30, 2015

Storyteller's Journey

Never Ever Quit

Whether or not you saw the NFC Championship game on January 18th, you've definitely heard about it. It's being called one of the best NFL play-off games in history.  Both photos courtesy of the Public Domain. 

That's not technically true. For most of the game, it was the worst performance by the Seahawks I've ever seen...and I've been a Seahawk fan my entire adult life. However, it was the best comeback in a play-off game I've ever seen.

Why does that matter to me as a writer? Because time and time again I learn life lessons from sports teams. As mentioned in the Wilson quote above, characteristics of perseverance, perspective, and purpose can be seen in a well-disciplined and well-coached team.

We often hear these remarks from coaches: Play to the whistle and it's a sixty minute game. But how does an athlete - or anyone for that matter - continue to go on when he's dug himself into a deep hole?

After the play-off game I heard commentators say things like: "That's why you never give up...you never know...you might still win."

I think it was more than that for Russell Wilson, and for anyone that has the consistent ability to continue when the chips are down.
It's about dignity, integrity, and heart. There is no guarantee you'll pull off a miracle like the Seahawks did in their win over the Green Bay Packers. However, why lose the game, and your integrity along with it? A true professional, in any vocation, continues to give their very best effort not for the possibility of glory, but for the satisfaction of knowing they didn't give up. At least then, they know they gave it their best effort, and no matter what the outcome there are no regrets.

Here are a few inspirational quotes about perseverance:

"It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer."
                                                                             ~ Albert Einstein

"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When the world says, 'give up,' hope whispers, 'try one more time.'" 
~ Unknown

"Never underestimate the heart of a champion." ~ Rudy Tomjanovich

So, while I'm hoping my Seahawks can beat the mighty New England Patriot machine in the Super Bowl this Sunday, it will be a tough task. But whether they win or lose, I know they'll play to the last whistle.

 
GO HAWKS!