Monday, December 2, 2013

Bibliophile's Corner

The Year of Billy Miller
by Kevin Henkes
Amazon Description:
When Billy Miller has a mishap at the Jolly Green Giant at the end of summer vacation, he ends up with a big lump on his head. What a way to start second grade, with a lump on your head. As the year goes by, though, Billy figures out how to navigate elementary school, how to appreciate his little sister, and how to be a more grown up and responsible member of the family and a help to his busy working mom and stay-at-home dad.

My Thoughts:
Last week I reviewed my first picture book on this blog; today I am reviewing my first chapter book, and what a wonderful read to feature. Kevin Henkes - a past winner of the Caldecott Medal and a Newbery Honor award - has written and illustrated the perfect book for every young elementary student to enjoy. Lots of humor and shenanigans, sibling rivalry and classmate competition, and the stress of an end-of-year poetry night, make The Year of Billy Miller a hit for readers from the ages of six to eight.

To learn more about the award-winning author Kevin Henkes, click here: http://www.kevinhenkes.com/meet-kevin-henkes/

4 comments:

  1. Love the fun cover! It sounds like a book my nephews would enjoy. Drat! and I've finished my Christmas shopping already. Will have to keep it in mind for the next birthday that comes round. Thanks for the review, Victoria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy eggnog, Ruth! You've finished your Christmas shopping already?! I'm planning on STARTING mine next week. ^_^ Happy Holidays!

      Delete
  2. I'll have to keep this in mind for next year too. My son will be just the right age for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you and your family had a Happy Thanksgiving, Sara! ^_^

      Delete